Is support a priority for this community?

I received the following comment from Frank Lemanschik w.r.t to my previous problem:

Is this the correct way to provide support. I have seen snide comments from other posters also and it is worrying.

I really like CanJS but if this is the level of support I’m out. We all have day jobs and other projects and don’t always have the time to spend to get to know each interesting project in-depth. That is why people ask for support. One-liners typically don’t cut it unless it really is that simple.

I previously tried to get a major satellite TV provider to use CanJS but they opted for Polymer after I left. However, they are still on Ember.

My current client will need to move over to a SPA at some stage and they provide a municipal system that is currently running at over 30 municipalities (probably more). I cannot in good conscience suggest a platform where support is going to be a problem.

They are currently happy to go the CanJS route as I have been pushing for some time…

I have to just add that many developers are not au fait with JavaScript, not to mention the accompanying frameworks/libraries. This means that some serious hand-holding is required and support really is a priority.

Eben,
Thank you for reporting and your canjs support. We take this very seriously. Nurturing a friendly and supportive community is EXTREMELY important to me. It’s part of our Code of Conduct which states (emphasis mine):

Our Standards

Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment include:

Using welcoming and inclusive language

• Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
  • Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
  • Focusing on what is best for the community
  • Showing empathy towards other community members

Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:

• The use of sexualized language or imagery and unwelcome sexual attention or advances
  • Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks
  • Public or private harassment
  • Publishing others’ private information, such as a physical or electronic address, without explicit permission
  • Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting

Support is so important, that Bitovi has an individual dedicated to nurturing the community: @chasen. (He was off work yesterday).

In 8 years of supporting JavaScriptMVC, CanJS, etc, this is the first time we’ve encountered a problem like this. We will meet as a core team to figure out the correct action as stated in our Code of Conduct:

Project maintainers are responsible for clarifying the standards of acceptable behavior and are expected to take appropriate and fair corrective action in response to any instances of unacceptable behavior.

Project maintainers have the right and responsibility to remove, edit, or reject comments, commits, code, wiki edits, issues, and other contributions that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct, or to ban temporarily or permanently any contributor for other behaviors that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.

To clarify, the reported individual is not a Bitovi employee or core team member. He’s also a non-native English speaker and communicating intent in a text-based medium is notoriously problematic. There’s a world of different meaning between:

• You’re problem is so simple, anyone who knows anything, even a little CSS, could easily solve it. - Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks

And:

• I’m not sure the right solution, and am unable to provide a better suggestion than encouraging you to spend time figuring out how to perform the right layout in CSS. - While not providing a solution, attempting to provide a bit of encouragement

Please continue to let us know ways we can keep improving your experience. And given the sensitivity of some matters, it’s completely appropriate to email us directly core@donejs.com, or message us individually on gitter.

The Bitovi core team members are:

The other core team members are:

Thanks.

1 Like

Hello @eben_roux sorry to read that you feel unwelcome it was not my intention i have often a lot to do and only readed order li elements in row then i answered fast learn css because i tought you maybe think javascript can do that.

Then i don’t readed the lines after that about can-component breaks css else i would have written simple that this is because document fragments have isolated css.

sorry that you got me wrong i don’t wanted to say you can’t code css or stuff like that.

2 Likes

Hi,

Thank you both for putting my mind at ease. I’m chalking it up to a misunderstanding.

For what it’s worth I actually did end up just adding a bit of extra css as also suggested by Cherif.

Was hoping to keep all the styling to Boostrap but a bit of nudging probably isn’t going to hurt :slight_smile:

Regards,
Eben

i don’t know if you readed it i can offer you also can-webcomponent pre alpha test its like can-component but it would work as you expect it to work without isolated css if you have many components where you don’t want to supply own css simply msg me on gitter